5/16/2006

Reformed Test Strip 'Collector'

I am a reformed test strip ‘collector’. I used to drop them many places in my halfhearted attempt to contain the used strips in the pocket of my One Touch case. That was until my CDE pointed out to me that it was pretty gross, and unsafe to let those little strips with the dried up blood on them float around. Part of me thinks that this is no big deal, it’s such a tiny amount of blood and it’s my blood, but part of me agrees with her. The part of me that agrees with her is the same part that also wants to impress her since she is such a cool lady and so I have heeded her suggestion of putting the used the test strips in an empty test strip bottle. So simple yet I had never thought of this before.

So now, since I never liked the case that came with my meter that came with my pump I throw everything into a much cuter little case that my friend gave me (thank you Court) and so that I can tell apart the two bottles
I have put stickers on the discard one.

I am not by nature, a neat freak, by any means. I have to consciously try to be neat and remind myself to close cabinet doors, but this is one little place where I can keep some order.

5 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

I was trying think of something smart & witty to say, especially after my own post yesterday.

Great idea, and I should follow suit. Preferably with a much more manly pouch...

Melissa said...

Scott,
I should have put a link to your post since that is probably what got me thinking in this direction - sorry. I like have this one, little (miniscule) part of my diabetes that I 'do right'.

What? You don't think a pink pouch with seahorses on it is manly? Oooooh, I know how about a 'pimped out' pouch a la Flava Flav style>

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Those things are floating all over our house and the other day I found one in Charlie's (the beagle) mouth!
Months ago, I discarded the ugly black pouch that came with my meter and put all my D supplies in a cute little Prada bag that David's mom got me. Way cuter than the one it came with!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Aha!! A Flava Flav inspired pump pouch...

I wonder if I could actually hang it around my neck with the infusion tubing? Or at least some used tubing...

There's potential there!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Even though we no longer live together AND I have moved to a new house, I am still finding test strips periodically among my stuff. Each time, I smile a little bit and think you, my little sister.